Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An Office Birthday


For my boss' birthday I made a limoncello tart (with homemade limoncello, no less!)

I also got some heavy cream and whipped it up with a little lemon juice, confectioners sugar, and lemon extract...



I was afraid there wouldn't be enough tart to go around and so I figured people could have the cream with the tart or with the extra berries, which I had put on the side.






I don't fool around... :)

xo

Limoncello Tart from The Houston Chronicle
  • 2 large eggs
  • Yolk of 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • Zest of 2 lemons
  • 1/4 cup limoncello
  • 6 tablespoons butter, cut in pieces
  • 1 (9-inch) pie crust
  • Seasonal berries to garnish

Bring water to a simmer in bottom of a double boiler.

Meanwhile, place eggs, yolk and sugar in top part of double boiler, and beat together off the heat.

Whisk in lemon juice and zest, and place mixture over simmering water, making sure pan doesn't touch the water.

Whisk until curd thickens, about 5 minutes, being careful not to let it boil.

Remove from heat. Stir in limoncello and butter until butter has melted.

Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, and spread in pie shell. Chill until set, at least 6 hours. When ready to serve, garnish with berries.

Makes 6 servings.


I bought a ready-made graham cracker crust...and found that even after setting up in the fridge for over 24 hours, the pie was very soupy. I'm going to improvise with it and make it more of a pudding or trifle...I'll post, of course.

2 comments:

faerian said...

DROOOOOOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow ~ that's GORGEOUS!!!
How sweet of you!

Squeezes,
Bella

P.S. My birthday is April 22.

*giggle*