Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Homemade Yogurt!



I was so excited to get this easy recipe during my last apprenticeship day (the origins of it are unclear since it was found online).

Now that I've made yogurt I just can't go back! It also spurred me to only eat/drink real, full fat dairy...I even want to look into buying raw milk in the future.  I'm telling you...I'd love to learn how to churn my own butter, but that's another blog...


Yogurt Recipe

1/2 Gallon whole milk (organic if possible)
1/2 Cup full fat plain yogurt with live active cultures

Heat the milk in a crock pot on low for 2 1/2 hours, then turn off/unplug and allow the milk to cool in crock pot (with lid on) for 3 hours.

Remove 1 or 2 cups of the warm milk and mix with 1/2 cup of yogurt.  Add back into crock pot and whisk thoroughly.

Cover crock pot and wrap in 1 or 2 thick towels.

Let the whole mixture culture over night (8-12 hours).

Pour into glass jars and put into fridge!


I've enjoyed my yogurt with fresh blackberries, stewed apples and cinnamon, and mixed in with my morning oatmeal.  It's delightful!  So mild and creamy...and my stomach is all the better for using whole milk.

I was fascinated by how hard it was to find whole milk yogurt at the supermarket.  All I could find was Greek style (which I love, but is also expensive).


*Remember to save a 1/2 cup of your yogurt for the next batch!

XO

1 comment:

ABCcreativity said...

sounds delicious!
i am allergic to cooking, but tempted to try it ;)
i eat yogurt every day in my smoothies.