Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cajun Beef Stew




This is one of those recipes that I will keep working on until I get it right, dammit!  :)

I have tried it for years! Ever since I got my slow cooker...back in my filthy cave of a Manhattan apartment...and most recently here in my warm, cozy, Queens apartment.

And yet...I STILL haven't mastered it.

I know what you're thinking..."How can someone possibly mess up a slow cooker recipe?"  Or..."But that photo looks delicious! "

Yes...it wasn't a total disaster...but I over cayenne-d it...so it was like fire in a bowl.  I had to add yogurt and sugar to tone it down.

Next time I will conquer this stew, I swear!!!

The original recipe comes from a Betty Crocker Slow Cooker recipe book. I used organic ingredients and substituted olive oil for cooking spray and tweaked it a bit, but it's essentially the same.


Cajun Beef Stew

1/4 cup Caribbean jerk marinade
1 pound cubed beef (organic, no antibiotics)
4 medium red potatoes cut into quarters
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbs spicy Cajun seasoning
1 28oz can (organic) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup okra, chopped

Coat beef in marinade and let sit for at least 30 minutes.

Spray inside of 4-5 quart slow cooker with olive oil.  Put potatoes in.  Mix flour and Cajun seasoning; toss with marinated beef, coating well.  Place beef on top of potatoes in cooker and add tomatoes.

Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.

Stir in vegetables and cook for another 15-30 minutes.


XO

*I made my own Cajun seasoning with garlic, onion powder, cayenne, paprika, cumin, fennel, thyme and chili powder...but added WAY too much cayenne. Be smarter than me and go easy on the cayenne :)

No comments: