Friday, January 1, 2010

Cookies and New Beginnings



I spent the last day of the first decade of the 21st century doing things I love. I created some new boozy cookies, watched the Colin Firth "Pride and Prejudice" and enjoyed some quiet time.

I've had the pleasure of an entire week off at home, and other than wishing I could see nature outside my window, it's been transforming.  I've been cooking, writing, purging, making tea infusions...and realizing how much I like "working" at home. I feel as if I've been in my cocoon (or maybe "element" is a better word) all week and lots of magic has been spinning.

2009 started out with a bit of manic uncertainty, like so many other years, but ended up being transformative! It brought me back to Scotland (Iona! Edinburgh!), The Lion's Share, new friends, new ideas and a lot of letting go.  It brought me back to myself. 2010 was ushered in quietly, but certainly, and I woke up this morning with peace in my heart.

I'm positive 2010 will open me up even more.  It will be the year I see Dublin, and The Waterboys, for the first time!  That in itself is astonishing to me :) I also can't wait to see what will bring me back to Scotland ;)


And now...for that new boozy cookie recipe!


Hot Buttered Rum Cookies


5 T Dark Rum
3 T Golden Raisins
1/2 c Dark Brown Sugar, packed
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 t Baking Powder
1/4 t Sea Salt
2 t Cornstarch
3 T Browned Butter
3 T Milk


Soak raisins in the rum for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Brown butter in small skillet and then add to brown sugar and raisin/rum mixture.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Drop onto a cookie sheet (I used a cookie scoop) covered with unbleached parchment paper and press (they wont spread out in the oven). Bake for 18 minutes.

Makes a little over a dozen cookies :)
 

Happy New Year!
XO

1 comment:

bobbie said...

Here's to a wonderful new Year!!!