Thursday, October 28, 2010

Newfangled Diaries, These Blogs...


I am a huge lover of all things historic.  Old buildings, ruins and reading about people's lives back in the day...how they did things...dressed...you name it.

I also love researching my family and finding out personal details about the people who came before me (my great grandfather was listed as a tennis racket stringer and then later owned his own barbershop!)

It's a shame, though, that I don't have any personal diaries from these folks. I've kept diaries since I was young...though most of them are poetry journals.

The other day I was reading the blog of a woman who recently passed away and I realized that blogs are a record of our lives that are accessible immediately.  Weird that I hadn't thought about it until then. It was so poignant...reading this woman's words.  So full of life and ideas and humor...it was like I could see her typing up each entry. She was alive in every word.

Facebook and Twitter add into this too. Good lord...some people record every little moment in status updates! I realize that all this online exposure can be a mixed blessing at times. I mean, we do need to filter what we put out there to a degree. I still write out the deeply personal stuff with pen and notebook but am very glad I have this blog to document my life and that people can see it now rather than later.

I had been thinking about how over saturated the blogging world is. Maybe I was wrong?  Maybe it's sort of like an ongoing time capsule that we don't have to wait to dig up in 20 years?


I've certainly shifted my perspective.

XO

No comments: