Friday, January 21, 2011

Seafood Soup Improv


I was reminded, last week, about how important it is to eat fatty fish...like salmon.  Something my diet had been lacking.  So to remedy that, I decided to make some sort of fish soup using easy ingredients.


Fresh Direct is fantastic in that you can buy pre cut this and that (I'm sure this is true for a lot of grocery stores). This time, I took advantage of the package of Soup Greens and Fish Cubes (I love using the fish cubes to make soup).

You still have to do a little bit of chopping, but it's minimal.

Last year I made a different, but still very much improvised, seafood soup


Everything I, basically, needed


Here's what I used:

1 Package Soup Greens (onion, red potato, turnip, parsnip, carrot, celery, parsley...) cut into cubes
1 Package Fish Cubes (in this case it was a mix of salmon and tuna, I think)
2 32 oz. Cartons of organic vegetable stock
Garlic Croutons
A couple handfuls of frozen spinach
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
Chili Powder
Salt
Pepper
1/2 tsp Powdered Kelp *optional*

I cooked the onion in some olive oil until they began to soften (about 5 minutes) and added garlic, salt and chili powder, sauteed for another 2 min.  Then I added the rest of the cubed veggies.

Next I added the stock and brought it all to a boil and then let simmer for about 20 minutes.

Then I added the fish.  Let simmer for another 5 minutes...and added the spinach. Simmer, Simmer Simmer!

In the end, I believe I added some ground lemon peel and the kelp for an added boost of nutrition.

Garnish with the garlic croutons...YUMMY!!!

XO

No comments: