Thursday, November 19, 2009

Matter Matters


 Cloisters, Iona Abbey

I have always considered myself a spiritual person instead of a religious person.  Matter Matters and my time on Iona ended up being something I had been searching for without knowing it. 

To prepare for the week I purchased two of J. Philip Newell's books: Sounds of the Eternal: A Celtic Psalter and Listening for the Heartbeat of GodI began this whole journey by using the prayers in Sounds of the Eternal as my morning and evening meditation time. This is something I continue to do since my return to New York.

Both of these were quite a revelation for someone who has been searching for a form of faith and worship that felt more in tune with who I am for years. Celtic Spirituality really speaks to me...and I'm very eager to learn more.

The tone of the week was really refreshing. There was nothing age specific...I feel it's something anyone in a similar head and heart space would benefit from greatly.

The combination of Philip's sessions at the hotel, Neil's outdoor activities, and the Iona landscape made for a perfect combination.  Reconnecting body and spirit...something I have been yearning for. I know a lot of people would love to experience this. We definitely spent the week "Listening for the Heartbeat of God..." and on Iona, it was very easy to hear.

As I look through my notes, everything I have written down shows the importance of and need for connection, relationships and love. Living in a city like New York, it's very easy to start feeling isolated after a while...even in the midst of all those people.  You ironically lose a sense of community.  Matter Matters gave me a sense of what I've been missing and I will be forever grateful.



The Cloisters, Iona Abbey

 
Between the Columns (cloisters)


Celtic Cross

No comments: