Friday, December 17, 2010

Spicy Chorizo Soup



I made this soup while staying at my cousin's house last month (Family Affair, Part 2)...but that was my second go at it!

The first time I made this soup I used black and garbanzo beans, seaweed and buttermilk.

1 medium onion
1 can black beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 small can diced tomatoes
1 carton organic tomato soup
1 carton chicken stock
1 package chorizo sausage
Organic kelp sheets
Chili powder
Cumin
Garlic powder
Cayenne


I pretty much made it up as I went along...and started by cutting up the sausage and cooking it in a large pot with the onion (chopped)...then adding the beans and spices (dashes of each). Next I put the cartons of tomato soup and chicken stock in and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Then I added strips of kelp until I was happy and adjusted the spices to taste (I made it on the spicy side). Then I just let it simmer away on low until I felt it was ready :) Maybe another 15-20 minutes.

After I dished some out, I added a dollop of buttermilk to the bowl.

Yum!

*Adding corn might be nice!*

This is another one of my non-recipes...but as you can see, it's really easy and you can switch it up every time!  These types of soups are great "clean out the pantry" types of meals.

XO

No comments: